• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

A rant!

Clean_Cut

Bluelighter
Im so sick of how everything is "bad" for you these days.
I cant even enjoy a glass of milk (which I was brought up to think that it was great because of its calcium content) without the flashing thoughts that it could be bad for me!

I continue to eat the way I want to, which in my opinion is pretty healthy, but I am so sick of having the thought that everything has the ability to be bad for you!

Totally agree. Everything in moderation is best. :)

Totally agree. Everything in moderation is best. :)

including moderation.

but yeah, i agree. i try and eat real foods, rather than processed/fast food, but otherwise i'm basically gonna get my 4000 calories/day however i see fit.

I sympathize with your frustration.

However, I actually do believe the majority of of mainstream food is crap. It makes a lot of sense to me. Our general health is going down the tubes, no matter what advances in modern medicine we've made. More and more people are getting chronic diseases, and even new ones are coming up. Food=health. We are what we eat.

If you feel great and don't have any health problems, keep doing what you're doing, by all means. And go ahead and block out any flashing fears of badforyouness. But if you get really sick or develop some chronic illness, be ready to reexamine.

Also, remember that while some people can eat a hamburger every day, many cannot. There are a lot of people that are just super sensitive to a lot of foods. Everyone is different 8o

(They say milk is bad because, despite its calcium content, actually leeches the calcium from your bones.)

I thought milk was bad for you because of the saturated fat? And I like to think that as long as I eat mostly healthy food, a bit of 'bad food' a day wont hurt, especially since I'm trying to gain mass right now.

I sympathize with your frustration.

However, I actually do believe the majority of of mainstream food is crap. It makes a lot of sense to me. Our general health is going down the tubes, no matter what advances in modern medicine we've made. More and more people are getting chronic diseases, and even new ones are coming up. Food=health. We are what we eat.

How can you say our general health is going down when life expectancy increases every decade? We see more chronic disease because people are living longer. Cancer was almost unheard of in the 19th century as people were lucky to live past 40. Today with better sanitation and access to a balanced diet you see more people eventually developing chronic diseases.

There are obvious vices like smoking that do decrease life expectancy by a good ten years on average but I am of the opinion that anything past the age of 70 is just prolonging life for the sake of greed. Sure it would be nice to live for ever but what sort of life is it when you need to be cared for?

A variety of fresh food, clean air and water, and enough luck to avoid a variety of bacteria/viruses and a normal genome should see you to the end. Exposure to small toxins over a lifetime will have a negligible effect in most people.

you live in an entropic universe. everything is killing you at all times.

its extremely difficult to explain the nuances of why 'everything is bad for you.' apples are bad for you if your diet was 100% apples, as you would have a very high glycemic load, very low amount of usable proteins, inflammatory, no fats, and likely quickly arrive at some sort of deficiency. hell, if your diet is 100% carrots, you will turn orange. too much milk creates way too much lactic acid, hard on your body (also produces excess mucous, which feeds cancer cells). red meat is an excellent protein source, and is typically packed with vitamins and minerals, however, its extremely easy to eat too much red meat and send your saturated fat and cholesterol levels through the roof. im just rattling off random things here. the point is to learn how to balance.

oh, and you have cancer. everyone does. at all times. the question is, how much? and conversely, how are the antioxidant levels of your body, which are used to destroy randomly roaming particles/atoms that bust apart your mitochondrial dna? or worse, how many elemts are you putting into your body that results in molecules/particles that damage your cells?

basically, if youre looking for something that is 100% never bad for you, youre in the wrong universe. even the sun, which we need to survive, kills us. so does oxygen. how bout that?

growth hormones, antibiotics, non digestible agents in food, imitation sugars, neurotoxic zero carb replacements, carcinogenic cooking techniques, genetically modified foods, preservatives, etc, these things are very difficult to avoid in a modern society. all you can do is read up on them, know how they affect your physiology, and know how to moderate your daily diet to guide your body into a state of balance.

You're using oxygen as a mean to suply energy to your body. It's very efficient, but also damaging. It slowly kills you.

i wonder why people instead of bitching about shit being bad or good not just make a thread of how to fucking moderate anything in this fucking life cuz that will be the most amazing thread since nobody has done it yet.
seriously, every fucking time i see someone say "do something in moderation" i have no fucking clue what that means. i mean for some moderation might mean doing something once a week but for some its not bad doing it once a day. anyway it can still might hurt either one of those 2 people even tho they think they are doing it in moderation. weird.

It all depends on how you look at it. Milk has both positives and negatives. From what I've been reading recently, keep up your anti-oxidant levels to mitigate other harmful elements in the diet.

also keep in mind - news headlines dont sell positive news very well.

saying "this just in: milk now bad for you!" is a much better seller than "peace and unity established in the congo"